One of the Cooperative business functions that set Pella Cooperative Electric apart from municipal or investor-owned utilities, is the Cooperative's Board of Directors. These men and women are elected by the membership and guide and govern the co-op.
Three positions on the PCEA's Board of Directors are up for election at the 2023 Annual Meeting scheduled for April 4.
Any members who have ever considered serving on the board and would be interested in helping drive the direction of your Cooperative should consider running for a director seat.
All PCEA board terms are three years. Currently, District 1 represented by Jon Van Woerkom, District 4 represented by Duane Ver Ploeg and an At-Large position filled by Bryce Arkema, will be on the ballot.
District 1 represents members in the northwest portion of the service territory, District 4 represents members in the southeast portion, and the At-Large position represents the entire service territory.
The current board has assembled a nominating committee that will help identify qualified candidates interested in putting their name on the ballot. Any member who can get more than 50 signatures can petition their name to be on the ballot as described in the PCEA Bylaws, Article III, Section 3:
"Any fifty (50) or more member-consumers may make other nominations in writing over their signatures not less than thirty-five (35) days prior to the meeting at which the directors are to be elected, and the Secretary shall post the same at the same place where the list of nominations made by the committee is posted; such nominations made by such member-consumers to be subject to the same qualifications, district and residence requirements as nominations by the Nominating Committee heretofore prescribed."
The Board of Directors serves as a voice for the co-op membership, and each position is critical in governing and maintaining a stable and successful organization. Look for more information in the near future about voting in 2023.
The 2023 Nominating Committee has been selected and began recruiting interest for director candidates to fill three board positions whose terms expire at the 2023 Annual Meeting on April 4.
Thank you to these members for your willingness to serve: Angela Arkema, Joel Braafhart, Ruth De Bruin, Stuart De Haan, Ryan Kelderman, Michael Montgomery, Vaughn Newendorp, Wade Puyear, Maury Van Der Wilt, and David Way.
The Nominating Committee considers the points listed below when reviewing qualifications for candidates. View the full requirements in the Cooperative’s bylaws online at pella-cea.org. Any person, to become and remain a Director of the Cooperative, shall, among other things:
- Comply with applicable requirements of the law, the Cooperative’s Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws, the Cooperative’s duly adopted policies, and the Cooperative’s duly made decisions;
- Assume a fiduciary duty to act, in good faith, in the best interests of the Cooperative and its member-consumers;
- Be loyal to the Cooperative and not have conflicting commercial or personal interests;
- Possess the minimum knowledge and skills necessary to manage the affairs of the Cooperative;
- Be willing to devote such time and effort to the duties of a Director as may be necessary to manage the Cooperative’s affairs;
- Be able to represent the entire membership on an impartial basis;
- Be willing and able to attend regularly scheduled and special meetings of the Board of Directors, national, state, and other meetings of organizations with associated interests that further the Cooperative movement; training institutes or seminars, which will aid in keeping him/her well informed on matters affecting the Cooperative; and
- Not use, or cause to be used, his/her position as Director to further any political or business ambition.